“DECADENT DESSERT BAKING CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED”
URBANDALE, IOWA – The Iowa Egg Council held its’ “Decadent Dessert” baking contest April 18, 2015 from 10 AM – 2 PM at Reiman Gardens in Ames, Iowa.
The top 5 finalists in each category, adult and student, were invited to Reiman Gardens to prepare their decadent dessert in front of a panel judges. The judges included: Tana Goertz, TV personality “The Apprentice”, radio talk show host, author and motivational speaker, Tawnya Zerr, owner of The Cupcake Emporium and contestant on the Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars,” Christina Moffatt, owner of Crème Cupcake and Dessert and contestant on the Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars,” and Cristen Clark, food blogger “Food and Swine.” The panel of judges scored the finalists on the taste, appearance/presentation, originality and use of eggs in their desserts.
Although, it was not easy, the judges made their final decision in each category. The 1st place winners received $750, 2nd place $350, 3rd place $250, 4th place $75, and 5th place $50. The results are as follows:
- Rebecca Groff, Cedar Rapids – Claret Poached Pear Tart
- Louise Piper, Garner – Egglicious Dried Apricot Pie
- April Schmitt , Fort Atkinson – A Little Bite of Heaven
- Cheryl Rogers, Ankey – Gingerbread Pudding with Orange Molasses Cream
- Sheila Koch, Tipton – Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcake
- Dylan Schrock, Kalona – Pina Colada Pie
- Jordy Downs, Delaware – Butter Pecan Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Ania Chamberlin, Ames – Chocolate Filled Lime Cake
- Cayla Jackson, DeWitt – Hazelnut Coffee Angel Food Cake
- Jessica Lenz, Stanley – Jessica’s Fabulous Raspberry Pastries
To request a copy of the desserts, please email us at email@example.com or call 515-727-4701.